Are you an eager law student, curious see how solicitors really operate?? I certainly am.
I’m Megan King, and I'm currently a 3rd year law (with psychology) student at the University of Southampton.
I recently found myself with a week off from lectures, so I reached out to Kim Simmonds, the CEO of Law 365 to see whether I would be able to get any work experience at such short notice. Kim was more than happy to help -- within a week, I was in the office.
I was thrilled. I know just how tricky it can be to get work experience. The COVID-19 pandemic has proven to be a very difficult time for university students, especially so for those trying to find work experience. I was fortunate to complete various online internships during my second year, but as I faced my final year of study, I wanted to know what life was like in an actual office!
This is what Law 365 allowed me to do.
I cannot stress enough how friendly the whole team at Law 365 are. It can be very nerve-racking on your first day at a job, especially when you haven’t even graduated from university yet and are working amongst experienced lawyers.
These nerves, however, vanished as soon as I stepped foot in the office and was greeted by multiple smiles and cups of tea.
Tasks I completed as an intern at Law 365:
• Wrote several blogs for their website. These ranged from areas of law such as Intellectual Property Rights and the necessary skills required to be a good lawyer.
• Conducted legal research of the Supreme Court decision in Lloyd v Google LLC  UKSC 50. I then created a case note to set out the relevant facts, the judgement and summarised how this may impact businesses.
• Having previously had no exposure to employment law, I requested some tasks surrounding this area of law. I was then asked to compose a note of advice to assist a client on its legal position regarding employee breaks, annual leave and working hours for night workers. This involved extensive research of the Working Time Regulations 1998.
• Learnt how to use the Companies House register to gather the relevant company details necessary for a Non-Disclosure Agreement.
These tasks were incredibly beneficial and typical of trainee lawyers. During my week at Law 365, I have come out the other side as a more experienced lawyer and have expanded upon my skillset. Skills I have strengthened include legal research, commercial awareness, and attention to detail. I look forward to putting these skills to use during vacation schemes and, hopefully, a training contract.
My advice for other students who are looking for work experience?
• While the work comes from the tasks you get given, it is the people that really put the experience in ‘work experience’. • If you are after the type of work experience that involves making coffee, or standing by the printer, Law 365 is not the firm for you. I was thrown into the deep end and given full responsibility over my own tasks. This is the best way to learn and to help you determine whether a career in law is right for you.
Thank you, Law 365!
Fancy a natter about legal matters?
Are legal worries getting you down? Let the Law 365 team help you grow your business with less risk.
What makes us different?
We only work for Microsoft Partners, just like you.
We offer our services as a monthly subscription – so you can budget your legal costs for the year. No surprises.